KUNOS Natural Floor Sealer - How to use
- Application range: For solid interior timber surfaces. Suitable for furniture, window sills, floors, for OSB and for MDF. Not to be used on cabinet interiors, or for the treatment of plywood.
- Technical qualities: Reinforces and deepens the natural color of the wood grain. Produces a matt film after 1 coat and a satin glossy finish after 2 - 3 coats. Water repellent according to German Industrial Norm DIN 68 861, part 1. German Industrial Norm DIN 53 160 certified for color fastness when exposed to perspiration and saliva. DIN EN 71 Part 3 certified, suitable for toys.
- Full declaration: Differs according to color tone: Linseed oil, linseed oil - stand oil - natural resin ester, linseed-oil - wood oil - stand oil, highly transparent iron oxide, titanium dioxide, natural resin glycerol ester, linseed oil - stand oil, orange oil, isoaliphates, silicic acid, micronized wax , pine oil, rosemary oil, dehydrated amino sugar and drying agents free of lead.
- Preparation: Wood must be dry (moisture content below 12 %), solid, able to absorb, clean, free of resin and dust. For large-pored woods such as walnut, oak, ash, chestnut, elm, mahogany or teak, brush out pore grooves carefully. Sand gradually and in accordance with the gradation, for furniture up to 240 grain, for floors up to 120 grain with a rollercoater sander (a sander with a sandpaper grinder), and then up to 180 grain with a grit.
Application method: By brush, troweling or with a shorthair roller (velour). By spraying, dipping, with a cloth or with machine applications at temperatures above 16°C (61°F).
Stir thoroughly! Remove possible skin formed on surface. Always do a test application! Depending on surface requirement, absorbency and kind of wood: apply 1 - 3 thin coats until a coating layer has developed. Sand after the 1st coat to reach an especially smooth, high impact surface. Sand after the 1st coat. By furniture with a pad, a fleece or something similar to at least 280 grain. By floors with a grainless pad (e.g. a beige or a felt pad).
The wet films by the 1st and the 2nd coats should be polished in with an eccentric sander, a polishing machine or a lint-free cloth after about 10 to 15 minutes. The 3rd coat should, after spreading little drops, approx. 1 teaspoon per m², should be polished in immediately. On floors and high impact surfaces, 3 coats should be applied with a trowel, a shorthair roller (velour), or with a polishing machine.
Coverage: Pre-testing is recommended.
First coat: 1 liter (1.06 quart.) undiluted covers appr. 22 m² (237 ft²), i.e. 45 ml/m².
Second coat: 1 liter (1.06 quart.) undiluted covers appr. 90 m²/l (969 ft²), i.e. 11 ml/m².
Third coat: 1 liter (1.06 quart.) undiluted covers appr. 250 m²/l (2691 ft²), i.e. 4 ml/m².
For spraying use max. 5 – 10 % SVALOS Thinner No. 292.
For dipping use max. 10 – 20 % SVALOS Thinner No. 292.
- Drying time: At 23°C (73.4°F) and a relative humidity of 50%: first coat 12 hours, further coats 24 hours. Final durability reached after 4 weeks. At higher temperatures, please consider shorter drying times and polish more quickly. At lower temperatures and higher humidity, please consider longer drying times as given.
- Storage: Cool and dry. Please see label for expiry date. Transfer unused product into a smaller container for storage.
- Disposal: According to locally regulated laws.
Important advice: Fine sanding reduces the quantity of KUNOS required. This also reduces the tendency of “wear and tear” and soiling of the surface. When sanding too coarse, the surface becomes too water vaporized and the possibility of greening increases.
The longer the KUNOS No. 241 has a chance to interact, the stronger is the reinforcing and deepening of the natural color of the wood grain, e.g. by beech. In the grooves, the KUNOS Oil No. 241 should be completely removed.
Wood not completely saturated with KUNOS No. 241, or where a coating layer did not form, and it is exposed to water, it may develop stains or discolor.
For glued crosscut wood or wood veneers, with a minimum of 0.5 mm after sanding, the 1st coat is to be applied very thinly, and the wet film to be removed after 5 minutes. For glued crosscut wood or wood veneers, with a surface coat of smaller than 0.5 mm, the KUNOS is not suitable. Adhesives and glues have to be completely dry before treatment with the 1st KUNOS No. 241 coat. When using white tones, make sure to sand evenly and apply sparingly.
Safety advice: Provide enough ventilation after application.
Always be sure to store and then dispose of cleaning cloths, polishing pads, sponges, etc. that are still wet or even slightly moist with KUNOS Natural Floor Sealer No. 241 in an airtight metal container or in water, as there is a danger of combustion caused by the plant oil content. The product itself will not combust spontaneously.
Contains limonene, wood oil and Cobalt (2+) salts. Can cause allergic reactions.
S 2 Keep out of the reach of children.
S 62 If swallowed, do not induce vomiting: seek medical advice immediately and show this container or label.